Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hatcher's Pass

Makes you want to go white water rafting.
Hatcher's Pass Road  is about 60 miles long. It connects Palmer on the Glenallen Highway with Willow on the Parks Highway. Only a few miles are paved.  After we went to the mine we continued up Hatcher's Pass. It was straight up a dirt road. It advices no RVs. We weren't pulling the 5th wheel and it felt like we barely made it up. I know, I know I needed 4 wheel drive. Well, I had never used the M on my steering wheel, but I got out the book and we used it coming down. It was great! Hardly had to use the brakes.I couldn't get any pictures on the way up, no where to stop (no side rails or pull outs). Summit Lake is at the top and it is beautiful!! People were hiking, sitting, reading, even a wedding(I think) in traditional clothing. There are so many streams, rivers, waterfalls, and lakes in Alaska. Some of the rivers are yucky gray with glacier silt, but some are just breath taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment