Thursday, June 21, 2012

Nome

You do see cars here, but there are more 4 wheelers. You have to bring these all here on boats or planes. You can not drive to Nome.
The Nugget Inn
Well, it has been cloudy and very cool all day(low 40s). I walked up and down Front Street. It has most of the things to do on it. There is a grocery store over on the next block, but I haven't been there yet. I visited the museum, visitor center, and the ranger station. The info about the Seward Peninsula and the Bering Land Bridge are fascinating. I also saw a presentation about a certain kind of loon that travels from above here all the way to the Yellow sea in China. There are several hotels and restaurants here. I had lunch at the Husky and may have soup at the Vietnamese diner for supper.There are many interesting things about the Iditarod race that ends here each year. It started sprinkling harder so I came back to the hotel.

Well, I visited with quite a few people around town today. Everyone says they love living here and that it was warmer last week. I hope to see some mining or at least panning for gold tomorrow. The boats did not go out yesterday or today because of the weather. Nome is one if the few places in the Alaskan "bush" where you can buy alcohol. The guide books said I would probably see some "drunks staggering down the street", and I did, but most everyone is very friendly and interesting to talk to. The drop out rate is very high here. More than half of the kids that start kinder do not graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment